USB cables are a household name these days! Whether it’s a mobile phone, TV or laptop, camera or any other electronic device USB cables are available with every electronic device to enable them to connect to other devices. By definition, Universal Serial Bus or USB refers to the different types of cables and connectors that connect the devices, like printers, scanners, keyboards, flash drives, external hard drives, joysticks, cameras, music systems to computers. Also, the portable devices like tabs and e-book readers nowadays use USB cables for charging purposes. If you are looking for a USB Cable make sure you consult one of the leading USB Extension cable suppliers to ensure you get the quality tested product which will stand the test of time.
There are 4 types of USB standards based on their speed of transferring data from one device to another, as mentioned below:
- USB 3.1 – This is the newest and is also known as Superspeed+ since with these cables the data is transferred at the rate of 10 Gbps or 10,240 Mpbs.
- USB 3.0 – These are known as Superspeed and transfer data at a speed of 5 Gbps or 5,120 Mbps.
- USB 2.0 – These are mostly used and are known as High speed and devices with USB 2.0 have a transmission rate of 480 Mbps.
- USB 1.1 – These are known as Full Speed and are known to have a speed of 12 Mbps.
Before we discuss the different types of USB connectors you need to know about male and female connectors. The male connector is called the plug which is on the cable or flash drive. The female on the other hand is known as the receptacle which can be the connector on the device, your computer or the extension cord itself.
The different USB connectors or cables that the leading USB extension cable suppliers provide are as below:
- USB Type C –These are rectangular in shape and they come with 4 rounded corners. The USB 3.1 speed is available only with Type C USB cables but adapters are available with the lower speeds.
- USB Type A –These are the most common in the market. These go with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
- USB Type B –These are square in shape and have a top notch and are mostly used with USB 3.0. These plugs are not compatible with USB 2.0 Type B or USB 1.1 Type B receptacles.
- USB Micro-A –These are only compatible with USB 3.0 Micro-AB receptacles. Also USB Micro-A plugs can be used with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Micro-AB receptacles
- USB Micro-B – USB 3.0 Micro-B plugs look similar to USB 3.0 Micro-A plugs and they seem to be connected yet separated plugs. Note that USB 3.0 Micro-B plugs are compatible with both USB 3.0 Micro-B receptacles and USB 3.0 Micro-AB receptacles. Also, USB Micro-B plugs are physically compatible with both USB 2.0 Micro-B and Micro-AB receptacles, as well as USB 3.0 Micro-B and Micro-AB receptacles.
- USB Mini-A –These can only be used with USB Mini-AB receptacles.
- USB Mini-B –These can be used with USB 2.0 Mini-B and Mini-AB receptacles.
Ensure that you consult the leading USB Extension Cable supplier only so that you receive quality tested products which give the desired speed and also don’t damage your devices.