- Wires- Also known as conductors, these products are used to transmit electricity from one point to the other; it is also used as an outlet or as light.
- Bare Wires- These are non-insulated wires.
- Stranded Wires- These are insulated wires which is coated with a plastic coating.
- Solid core wires- These are also insulated wires but stiffer than the stranded ones. Solid core wires are known to make the best connections.
Wires are flexible conductors available from 50 to 500 feet length. As wires can be used both for indoor and outdoor activities, it is very important to check the rating for the indoor or outdoor application and the temperature tolerance before buying one. Most of the multi conductor wires contain
- Neutral wires- These are white or grey in color and are used to return electricity from the end device to the power source.
- Hot wires- These are can be of any color except green, white and grey. These are used to pass electricity from the source to the end device.
- Grounding wires- These are available in green and are used for earthing purpose, that is, when there is a short circuit this wire transmits the excess current to the ground.
Cables are either made from copper or from aluminum; some may come with an armor, others may not. Each cable is different and must be chosen as per the requirement. Some of the commonly used cables include
- EHV cables- These are extra high voltage cables which are generally used for transmission of high voltage electricity, up to 400kV. Insulation is very important in case of this kind of cables and hence the coating is very thick to ensure that minimal amount of micro voids and moisture enters the circuits.
- HT cables- These cables are also high voltage cables which can carry up to 220kV electricity. These high tension cables are used to connect heavy duty machinery, for conductor making and also for sheathing.
- LT cables- The low tension power cables are used to minimize dielectric losses. These cables are light weight and tough against overloading and vibrations. Low tension cables are also available in different variants, like 4 and 3 core power cables.
- Control cables- These are generally used to make permanent connections in machineries, air conditioners, measuring and control heating. Control cables are generally made from PVC, which is halogen free and hence emits low smoke when exposed to fire.
- Instrumentation cables- These cables are made specially to cater to the unique requirements of microprocessors and computerized instruments. The cables transmit very low levels of electricity between the measuring ends and the display units or controllers.
So whatever many be your requirement, choose wires and cables manufactures which are properly insulated and meet the international standards; look for ISO mark on the wires and cables while making the purchase.